Clydeside Distilley has filled its first casks after opening last month
The Clydeside Distillery has filled its first casks with newly-made spirit ready to be matured after opening on the banks of the River Clyde in Glasgow last month.
Chairman Tim Morrison said: “Christmas arrived early at The Clydeside Distillery this week as the first casks were filled with new-made spirit ready to be matured. The distillery Chairman, Tim Morrison, supervised the process which will see the first batch of spirit rest for at least three years in American Bourbon oak casks until it can officially be called Scotch Whisky.
“The distillery and visitor centre, which opened to public the last month on the banks of the Clyde, is home to Glasgow’s first operational copper stills for more than a century.”
The Clydeside Distillery officially opened its doors to the public on 23 November and, situated between the Riverside Museum and SSE Hydro, is now producing the first spirit in the area for more than 100 years.
Sitting on the site formerly known as The Queen’s Dock, whih was once the beating heart of Glasgow’s shipping industry, The Pump House, with its famous clock tower, includes a 5-star visitor centre with interactive whisky experience, shop and café. The copper stills sitting pride of place will produce a high quality Lowland single malt Scotch whisky.
Glasgow’s links to the whisky industry have been brought to life through words, pictures and film as visitors make their way through 140 years of history as part of a self-led and guided tour. The Pump House once controlled entry into The Queen’s Dock, one of the city’s most famous shipping ports built by Morrison and Mason in 1877. This ensured Customs and Excise could keep a close eye on goods in and out, including Scotch whisky.
Owned by Morrison Glasgow Distillers Ltd, The Clydeside Distillery’s Chairman Tim Morrison is the great grandson of John Morrison, who originally built The Queen’s Dock in 1877. Tim, formerly of Morrison Bowmore Distillers is current proprietor of the AD Rattray Scotch Whisky Company.
The project to transform The Pump House into an operational whisky distillery began in 2012 and has been spearheaded by Tim and his son Andrew, the distillery’s Commercial Director.