Do you know? Women start removing hair from the age of 17. Many females tend to try different hair removal methods for aesthetic purposes. The frequent hair removal areas include the lower legs, bikini, and armpits. The never-ending debate always persists in minds, what type of hair removal is best for you?
Are you stuck in this juggling loop too? Do you also have a hard time choosing between threading, shaving, depilatory creams, waxing, electrolysis, laser, and IPL hair removal at home? If that’s the case, rest your doubts here. This blog contains an in-depth dissection of temporary and permanent hair removal methods along with budget, tips, use, and effectiveness. So, you better hang in there!
Hair becomes a part of the human body when it’s just a fetus. When a baby is born, their body contains non-pigmented hair called lanugo hair. As the body grows, hair becomes thick and coarse, becoming vellus or terminal hair.
Hair plays an important role in regulating body temperature, hygiene, and protection against friction. However, their removal is a personal choice to achieve silky and smooth skin. There are many different hair removal methods with different pros and cons. Do you want to discover what suits you the most? Read on!
Temporary Hair Removal Methods
Here are a few quick fixes to help you achieve smooth and silky skin!
Shaving is the most common method for hair removal at home. In this surface hair removal method, you just need to glide the razor on wet or electric razor on dry skin. It is always recommended to use a preshave cream for better results. Here are some tips if you opt for shaving:
- Always shave after a shower. Taking a bath can make your skin oil-free and your pores clean.
- It is recommended to use a shaving get or cream for a smoother experience.
- Glide the razor in the direction of hair growth.
- Try to wash the razor after every swipe. This will save you from irritation.
- Doable at home
- Effective for the whole body
- Results won’t last long, need to shave every 2-3 days
- Not recommended for transgenders and PCOS patients (as they grow thicker and coarse hair)
- May result in injuries, cuts, and burns
- Skin irritation and ingrown hair are common in shaving
Are you looking for facial hair removal? Then, threading should be your call. Threading involves rolling and twisting a strand of cotton over the hairy areas. The hair gets plucked out and you can enjoy clean and hair-free skin.
- Threading requires practice. Hence, you may visit a salon to get threading done to save yourself from cuts and ingrown hair.
- Threading should not be done over sweaty and sensitive skin.
- Always apply a soothing gel or cream after threading to avoid redness.
- Hair-free look for 4-5 weeks
- Ideal for upper lips and eyebrows
- Safe for acne and retinol users
- Mildly painful
- Not recommended for full-body
- Temporary solution
- May cause acne if done inappropriately
- Must be done professionally
Cost: $50 (for whole face)
There exist many types of waxes such as sugar, lemon, hot, and cold. You can either apply wax strips or hot wax over the hair and pull them away. They remove unwanted hair from the roots.
- Take a warm shower to make your hair soft for at least 5 minutes.
- Make sure that hair length is between 1 and 3-quarter inches.
- Wait a few minutes for the wax to get hard.
- Wax should be applied in the direction of hair growth.
- The wax strip must be pulled out in the direction opposite of hair growth.
- Thread after waxing for flawless and smooth skin.
- Apply moisturiser at the end.
- Suitable for whole body
- Results lasts from 2-3 weeks
- Ideal for armpits and bikini areas
- Painful and uncomfortable
- Not suitable for Accutane and Retinol consumers
- Temporary Solution
- Not recommended for sensitive skin
Costs: $50-200 (depending on your pro and area size)
4. Depilatory Creams
You just need to apply hair removal cream over the hairy area and leave it according to instructions. They work by dissolving the hair just above the skin. Here are a few directions.
- Do a patch test by applying cream over a small area. Wait for 24 hours.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Never apply the cream over irritated or inflamed areas.
- Doable at home
- Recommended for bikini areas
- May cause ingrown hair and bumps
- Darkens the skin
- Not recommended for whole-body
- Results don’t last long
Cost: $5-10 (depends on the area)
Why Not to Choose Temporary Solutions
These hair removal methods are not suitable for everyone. According to the Skin of Colour Society, these hair removal methods can result in a skin condition called pseudofolliculitis barbae (PFB). People of colour and people with curly and coarse hair are most likely to get PFB.
Shaving, threading, plucking, and waxing can make your hair grow in a curving direction which pierces the skin. Such conditions can only be treated by aestheticians or dermatologists. Hence, you better look for more practical permanent hair removal methods.
Permanent Hair Removal Methods
Here are a few methods which last way longer and give satisfactory results.
5. IPL (Intense pulsed light)
It is a form of light therapy where a beam is focused on a hairy area. The concentrated light makes the hair fall out. The great thing is that it is suitable for the whole body. In 2021, IPL was listed as the most effective and best hair removal at home. You can always get your device and use it in the comfort of your home. Many manufacturers offer IPL hair removal at home. Move downwards for more details!
- Avoid waxing or plucking before IPL hair removal.
- Avoid using IPL on sensitive skin (after sunbathing).
- Check your hair colour (IPL is suitable for black, brown, and light brown colour).
- Easy to use (can be done at home, no gloves goggles, messy creams and gels needed)
- Suitable for whole body
- Permanent hair removal
- Improves skin tone
- Does not require professional help
- Results similar to salon-like Laser, so much more cost-effective
- Combats acne
- Improves skin tone
- Treats pigmentation
- You may experience skin sensitivity initially after use
- People with PCOS or certain medical conditions may regrow hair
Cost: $200-300 (one-time investment)
Where to Get Your Device?
Ulike offers you relaxing IPL hair removal at home. They have plenty of options with different sensitivity modes and penetrations. You can enjoy smooth and hair-free skin for the whole body. People with Endometriosis & PCOS often grow thick and dark hair, they also recommend using IPL hair removal at home. They are FDA-approved and responsible for your secure hair removal. It’s safe to use for 15+ age groups.
It’s a one-time investment and the best thing is that they have a return guarantee. They challenge to make you hair-free within 90 days else the European and UK clients can return the device. You can pay in instalments too. What more do you need? Grab amazing discounts for getting your device now!
It is also a permanent hair removal solution which works by concentrating a beam of light on hair follicles. The hair gets destroyed as the hair pigment absorbs the light. However, the laser devices do not give favourable results like IPL hair removal at home. So you must visit specialists for that.
- Laser may not be suitable for darker skin tones (you better consult a dermatologist before use).
- If you are tanned or use tan spray, wait before your tan fads for treatment.
- Suitable for whole-body hair removal
- Expensive (must visit a dermatologist for expected results)
- Uncomfortable (messy creams and gels while applying)
- Might be painful (no cooling effect like IPL hair removal at home)
- May cause skin irritation, burns, discolouration, and swelling
- Requires many sessions professionally
Costs: $100-$1000 (depending on session and area covered)
We hope we cleared your mystery about what type of hair removal is the best for you. If you look at the temporary solution, they need to be repeated your whole life. You only live once. A few people also take a middle path by taking medications which slow down hair growth. However, they can cause acne and skin irritation. So, for a permanent solution, the laser is too expensive, Electrolysis is another method which is too painful and costly.
So, you end up with IPL hair removal at home. This option is cost-effective as a permanent hair removal solution. Additionally, it’s painless and allows you to hassle-free get your device and do everything by yourself.