Becoming a tradesperson is a great career choice for so many different reasons. They’re short in supply in many areas, which has created a huge demand for them, they can have control over the hours they work when they run their own business and they can earn a very good wage from it too.
If you’re on the lookout for a new, exciting career where no two days are the same, then considering a career in the trades is a must. To help entice you further, we’re here to tell you how much you can get paid as a tradesperson and how you can get into the industry. Read on to learn more and get started on your new journey today.
What are the different trades that you can work in?
One of the best things about becoming a tradesperson is there are so many different areas that you can work in, ensuring you can find a suitable option to create a fulfilling career. Some examples include becoming a:
- Plumber – responsible for fitting and maintaining water systems
- Electrician – responsible for installing, inspecting and testing electrical equipment
- Carpenter – responsible for building furniture or fittings using wood
- Roofer – responsible for fitting or repairing roofs
How much do tradespeople earn?
These are all rewarding careers to have and on average, you can expect to earn around £35,000 every year but this could reach over £50,000 when you have years of experience. This could see you earn more than the average salary for full-time workers in the UK, which is roughly £32,000, proving just how lucrative the trade industry can be to work in.
There will be opportunities to make even more money if you run your own business too, which could be a route you go down once you’ve gained the necessary experience.
How do I become a tradesperson?
If a career in the trade industry seems like the ideal one for you and the wages suit your lifestyle, then the following steps are what you should take to get started:
- Decide which trade you want to work as
- Attend courses and get the necessary qualifications
- Buy the right tools and get a good quality toolbox like a Milwaukee one
- Gain professional experience as an intern or an apprentice
- Find a full-time role or set up your own business
Working in the trades has been a great option for so many people and the wages you can earn are impressive too. There’s no better time to get into this industry as well with a skill shortage in this area all around the UK. Follow the steps that we’ve mentioned above and kick-start an exciting new career that will feel rewarding every day.